The Dispatch Issue #5

News:

Dawgs dominate at meet

Summary: Bowie competes in many UIL events, which include athletics, fine arts, and academics. In academics, we participated in UIL Ready Writing, UIL Accounting, and UIL Social Studies, working together in academic teams in preparation for the competition--Emily Leeke got 6th place in UIL Ready Writing, Anna Esaka got 1st place in UIL Accounting, and Shane Valentine got 2nd place in UIL Social Studies.

1. Jacob Morgan, Melanie Hirschfeld, Jennifer Vance, Emily Leeke, Anna Esaka, and Shane Valentine were quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote, in my opinion, is, "The students, they help each other a lot. I notice sometimes on one part of the test one student struggle and another student gets it and they will work together to learn about the problems they are having a hard time with. It's great to see them helping each other's strengths and weaknesses."

3. The lead sentence was a little mediocre, so the writer might want to adjust the hook to attract more attention. It was enough, but not everyone would keep reading from the lead sentence, I feel.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

Commentary:



Features:

Silver Star captain leaps into spotlight

Summary: Kristin Hauck is the Silver Stars Captain that has been dancing all of her life. She prefers Silver Stars over studio dancing because it gives her more of an opportunity to enjoy her passion and work in teams--winning isn't everything in Silver Stars.

1. Kristin Hauck, Emily Davis, and Jade Fattouh were quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote, in my opinion, was "There are definitely a lot of assumptions about dance, and people think it's just something easy for 'girly girls' to do, but it just depends on what level you're dancing at. I think that when you train a lot, dance is very hard and takes a lot of skill, brain, and artistic ability."

3. The lead sentence made me want to keep reading because it put me in the perspective of the subject of the article, which cleverly led me in.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

Features:

Movement against vaccinations is harmful to society

Summary: The staff of Bowie Dispatch believe that state and federal governments should mandate vaccinations for the sake of the public health, aside from those with religious and medical reasons for not getting them. "Anti-vaccinators" have made some claims against vaccinations and what it does to those to receive them, however, there is a lack of reliable information to support those claims.

1. No one was quoted in this story.

2. There were no quotes.

3. The lead sentence made me want to keep reading because of the topic and the truth of the statement.

4. The conclusion was a statement.

Sports:

Freshman scores a varsity spot

Summary: Dillon Alpert managed to snag a spot on Bowie's varsity soccer team even though he is only a freshman. He easily makes up for his size and age with his speed, ability to play much larger than he is, and good soccer IQ, and helped Bowie fight well throughout the season, although they didn't make playoffs in the end.

1. Ryan Logan. Felipe Mendoza, and Dillon Alpert were quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote, in my opinion, was "With his intensity and his skill on the ball and ability to control the ball, I thought he'd be a good fit. I was concerned about his size at first, but when I watched him play, he plays larger than he is."

3. The lead sentence made me want to keep reading because the detail of a freshman making such an amazing position intrigued me.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

In-Depth:

CLIMATE CHANGE

Summary: Many natural disasters have swept the world as its climate begins to change due to greenhouse gases. Although many people in favor of action against climate change believe that this issue needs more attention called to it, there are many challenges that stand in their path, such as those who don't believe in climate change, such as Texas not requiring climate change to be taught in the curriculum, and such as political issues that work against the cause.

1. Ashley Spiro, Zach Baumer, Morgan Scrimgeour, Cassie Gutierrez, Adam Werchan, and Lida O'Donnell were quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote, in my opinion, was "Climate change is the most important topic because it's the life on our planet. It's our lives, our kid's lives, and your kid's lives. We really have to act now before it's too late, and we're depending on the younger generation."

3. The lead sentence drew me in and encouraged me to keep reading by making me visualize the horrors that climate change can cause.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

Photography:
1. My favorite photo in the paper was in the Dancing, candy and palm trees, oh my! photo essay, on the middle left, captioned Bubble Bath. I liked it the most because it showed the energy of the parade, the genuine belief in the message being sent by the parade, and the glee at its success. The lighting was pleasant and the fresh, vibrant colors really made a difference.

2. My least favorite photo in the paper was the one in Color guard goes global for world competition in China story. Although I have to consider the difficult lighting conditions the photographer must have had, the exposure was just a little too dark for my taste. Too many things were engulfed in darkness, and the picture looked grainy and pixelated.

3. I would have liked to shoot photos for Silver Star captain leaps into spotlight, because I really enjoy watching the Silver Stars, and there would be a lot of interesting poses I could capture the subject, Kristin Hauck, in. It would be a challenging shoot, for sure, but challenges give me motivation to try my best and attempt to have fun with the photos.

4. Overall, I would rate the photography around a 7/10. I really liked both of the photo essays and the pictures they took, and there were some other pictures here and there that I also liked, but a lot of the photos were either mediocre, or bad. Sometimes, lighting was funny, or the picture was just plain boring, and didn't draw my eye. However, the wonderful photo essays made up for those very much, and I really, really enjoyed looking over them.

Stories:

1. My favorite stories were Silver Star captain leaps into spotlight and Movement against vaccination is harmful to society. I liked the first one because it illustrated Kristin Hauck's passion for her dancing really well, and helped me appreciate the hard work and effort put into Silver Stars. Although I already respected the sport, this article helped my respect grow a great deal. Additionally, I liked the second one because the topic of vaccination is something I am very interested in. I agreed with the views of the writer(s), and it was satisfying to see them use actual evidence while calling out how their opposers fell short.

2. My least favorite story was Funding lost due to senior skip day. Although news is meant to be from an objective standpoint from the writer, I still picked up a tone that was very biased against senior skip day. I am unsure if my thoughts are unreasonable, but it seemed to he heavily against senior skip day. It felt as if any voice they gave to seniors was made to be intentionally weak, making them seem incredibly unreasonable. I do not condone skipping class whatsoever, but the tone of this piece simply put me off.

3. I think you should cover the Masterpiece show by the dance classes and Silver Stars. It was a beautiful show filled with creativity, passion, and sentiment. I also think you should address student's thoughts on finals, since they are coming up soon, and I think it would be interesting to see the differing views. Do some students think they're good? Do students hate finals? Do some students dislike them but acknowledge their importance in a way? It intrigues me.

Comments

Popular Posts