Personal Essays

1. The writer gave me the idea to write about my experience in a country that held a great deal of my family. I would plan to express the importance of family, and how it is both alleviating and burdening.
2. The writer reminded me that it is preferable/better if I can show my emotions through how I feel from the way I present something, rather than stating exactly how I interpreted the experience. It is better if I describe my experience with my family in Thailand in a favorable manner, rather than to simply say, "It was one of the most memorable times I had the benefit to experience."
3. a. The hook is the device you use to get your reader’s attention. It’s the doorway through which you welcome and orient them to the piece.
b. Write as evocatively as possible. Employ all the senses. Using sight comes naturally to most writers; push harder to convey ideas and images through sound, taste, touch, and hearing.
c. Think of your essay as a camera lens. You might start by describing a fine detail (your personal experience or perspective, a specific moment in the narrative), then open up the lens to take in the wide view (the general/global backdrop), then close the piece by narrowing back to the fine detail. Or go the other way. Start with the wide view, focus in, then open up to the wide view again.

Comments

Popular Posts