The Dispatch Issue #4

News:

Summary: The culinary students of Bowie are all working hard to make wonderful sweets for the upcoming Valentine's fundraiser. They must pour precious time from their schedules in order to advertise the fundraiser to other students and make the baking goods enjoyed by our school; but the experience is beneficial to anyone planning to work in the culinary field.

1. Richard Winemiller, Asia Vo, Grace Mansen, and Katie Puperi were quoted in this story.

2. In my opinion, the strongest quote was "Chef always tries to make class and prep as close to a real culinary experience as physically possible. So with events like these, it helps a lot to see what the industry is actually like and grow from my mistakes in order to improve for the future." It gave me insight as to why the culinary program is so important to students, and helps me see how serious they are about their passions.

3. It was an alright lead sentence. It was enough to prompt me to keep reading, but I believe the graphic was what really attracted me to read on. I think it would have been better to briefly talk about the hard work that went into the sweets listed. A story simply advertising a bake sale doesn't interest me much, and that was how the lead sentence made the article appear.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

Commentary:

Summary: Many students find the idea of online school appealing, and as the transition has become progressively easier, more and more students have transferred out of high school in favor of it. However, it takes a very mature and self-motivated student to survive and understand the material without a classroom setting, and there is value in having peers that will be lost.

1. No one was quoted, as it was a personal commentary story.

2. There were no quotes, as it was a personal commentary story.

3. The lead sentence definitely caught my interest, as the idea it presented appealed to me, as it appeals to many other students.

4. The conclusion was a statement.

Feature:

Summary: Junior Anna Smile suffers from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, dissociative disorder, and bipolar disorder, and those mental illnesses make it difficult for her to cope in stressful situations, and sometimes even in normal ones. However, now that she has a service dog, Judge, who is always by her side and helps ease her anxiety, she has made significant improvement in her condition and is determined to help those similar to her.

1. Anna Smiley, Colin Smiley, Savannah Stoute, Jennifer Smiley, and Ava Villalpando were quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote in my opinion was "Judge is Anna's safety net. When things become overwhelming, Judge helps Anna cope. Thing Anna could not comprehend of doing before now become possible with Judge at her side." I can feel how much love Colin has for his daughter and how much he appreciates the help of a service dog at Anna's side.

3. The lead sentence drew me into the article with its ominous tone and the supporting sentences afterwards.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

Sports:

Summary: Alekzandr Popper transitioned from being a gymnast to being a diver, and the difficulty and fear of jumping from a 10-meter platform was unbearable at first. But once he got accustomed to it, he came to enjoy it very much, and with the intensive training he goes through and the heart he puts into diving, he sailed through district, regionals, and is now heading to state, eyes trained on first place.

1. Alekzandr Popper, Peyton Bobo and Page Vavasour were quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote in my opinion was "The full in is my favorite because of its difficulty. It's pretty hard but when I do it, I feel like I'm flying." It helps me see how willing he is to tackle new and more vigorous things, and displays how much love and passion he has for diving.

3. The lead sentence interested me and made me read on to understand the passion of diving.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

In-Depth:

Summary: The recent government shutdown has stirred up a great debate about immigration among people in the United States, more specifically the people who live around us at Bowie High School, in Austin Texas. Many immigrants fight for citizenship, to seek asylum, and to gain residence.

1. Taylor Bhuiyan, Stephen Achilles, Trey Campsmith, Ruth Narvaiz, Amanda Pfeiffer, Luciana San Esteban, Carlen Floyd, Marc Vockell, and Ariel Sandoval Olivia were quoted in this story.

2. The strongest quote in my opinion was "This is not a problem that exists in Arizona; this is not a different school's problem. We've got students here in our classes. This is not a national news story, this is in our classrooms' and our families' story." It reminds me that we must come together and work as a community to solve our problems.

3. The lead sentence drew me into the article because it presented the topic of the government shutdown, a topic I am interested in.

4. The conclusion was a quote.

Third:

1. My favorite photo in the entire paper was the photo of Anna Smiley with her service dog, Judge.
1a. This is my favorite photo because it seemed candid and sweet, caught at the perfect moment, with wonderful lighting that enhances the overall warmth that goes into the picture. They are clearly the two main subjects, but the nature in the background only helps the quality of the picture, not particularly distracting from Smiley or Judge.

2. My least favorite photo in the newspaper was the one of Braden Kennedy and a service dog named Abner.
2a. This is my least favorite photo because it is far too dark to see anything clearly aside from Abner, and this photo conveys no emotions to me whatsoever. A picture is meant to give off a mood or send an image regardless of whether or not I read the article; and from the picture alone, it only seems out of place and low quality for the topic it's meant to cover.

3. If I were a photographer for this issue, I would have liked to take the photograph of Smiley and Judge, although it might not have ended up as well as the original. The photographer clearly knew what they were doing when they took that picture. When I take pictures, I want to take pictures on warm and touching topics, I want my photos to mean something, and a picture meant to display the relationship between Smiley and Judge is a picture that would be challenging but rewarding.

4. Overall, I would rate the photography in this issue an 8/10. Although they were lighting issues at times, and some photographs would have been better if they were just a bit clearer, many of the photographs still had beautiful lighting and wonderful angles, with a careful eye on detail.

Comments

Popular Posts